Dawulun Fort is a very important military base to safeguard the west side of Keelung Harbor. During the Opium War in 1840 and the Sino-French War in 1884, the court of Ching Dynasty sent military forces to guard this place. However, looking at the current structure and feature, the fort was probably renovated during the colonial period.
The provincial historic site was located on Mount Tawulun. Located 231 meters above sea level, the fort looks down to Lovers Lake to the west, Dawulun Bay to the north, Keelung and
East Sea to the east. Walking up on a pebble footpath full of falling leaves, one will see the original structure of the fort, chassis, mechanical belt and storage room. Walls were made from stones with arched windows. Since the platform is at the high point facing the ocean, there are lots scenes to view over northeastern cape from platform, such as Keelung Islet, Waimu Shan seashore and Badouzi.