In 1626, expeditions from Spain departed from Luzon and disembarked in Palm Island (present day Hoping Island) in Keelung. The Spanish built San Salvadore in the southwestern part of the island. In 1642, the Palm Island was occupied by the Dutch who changed the name of San Salvadore to Noort Hollant. In 1668, Cheng Ching, son of Cheng Cheng-kung, sent troops to fight against the Dutch and drove the Dutch out of the island. Before leaving, the Dutch engraved some words in a cave on Palm Island which was later named as "the Cave of Foreign Words".